Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The Wizard of Oz-- Illustrated


This is another very good one we have read. The children loved it, and there was so much detail that wasn't in the movie (such as walking through a little village where all the people, animals, and buildings were made of fine china that moved (that is, if you were a person or an animal)...or the real story of the flying monkeys) I highly suggest reading the original version, written by Frank L. Baum-- I've seen watered down retellings that just simply aren't as good-- and the full color illustrated copy done by Michael Hague has enough pictures to keep little children interested.

1 comment:

Carol Heuseveldt said...

First of all, I love your blog. You have such a sweet family. Second of all, I had to let you know that The Wizard of Oz was one of Grandma Jolley's absolutely favorite books as a girl (probably about Ellie's age). She had me read it in fourth grade and I loved it too. I used to play Dorothy and Uncle Tim played all the other characters (including the Witch of the West). What wonderful memories you are giving your children by reading with them! Love, Great Aunt Carol