Wednesday, June 18, 2008

What I do in my spare time...

We run a store. When we came, it was very empty, except for some gourmet kitchen stuff which a local store owner put in it. This stuff didn't sell very well, and so we had the opportunity to fill the store with souvenirs and stuff! Some friends of ours who have a lot of experience in retail helped us set things up, learn how to order, get the display equipment, etc. So... I've had a lot of fun ordering from catalogs, going to buyers markets, setting merchandise, pricing, etc. It's been interesting to see how this end of retail works. For instance, did you know what Net30 means? It means a store has qualified for "terms" of paying for merchandise within thirty days of receipt of goods. This gives the store a chance to make some money before paying bills. But you have to establish lines of credit with other vendors before you can qualify for terms.
"Made in Montana" is quite a big deal here. There are special little stickers that vendors put on their products that are made in this state. I don't think we had anything like that in Idaho. Probably because our sticker would be a potato, and who wants to buy something with a potato on it? Maybe if it were scratch and sniff? Maybe not. I digress... So a big display in the store is all made in Montana stuff, such as candles, lip balms, jewelry, metal art, etc. It is neat to find people who make really cool stuff! There are some talented Montanans out there, and I hope their wares sell in our store. So far, so good.
At my first buyers market, I was pretty clueless and didn't realize how hard it would be to get away from vendors who want to sell you things...but then I developed a little thicker skin for my next one and knew by that point what we needed in the store (though Cory teases me for buying some kind of weird stuff, like those little doggie figurines-- well it's for the KOA camping dog lovers, of which I might say there are a plenty.. But those little plastic visors.. well, I don't know who will buy those. I must have been up in the night on that one).
It took me months to get up the courage to spend thousands of dollars that weren't my own, but when I found out how much fun it is to put it all up, I couldn't stop ordering! (until my budget ran out...)

5 comments:

Bullock said...

Wow, the store looks great! I can't figure out exactly where you guys live?? It looks fun wherever it is. I'm impressed that you can manage all that Tiffany. I'd love to come and see it some day.

Sheryl

Melissa said...

I love your store, Tiffany! Good for you~that is a huge undertaking! LOL at the Idaho stickers, and I totally know which Made in Montana stickers you are talking about! Do you sell "Native" bumper stickers that look like Montana license plates? People who were born in Montana are pretty proud of it. And huckleberry chocolates? Mmmmmmm...

L said...

Wow! I am so impressed! It is fun to just learn as you go, eh? Too bad campers aren't looking for cute hair accesories or I could stock you full!

Thank you for your comment about the Savior never being in a hurry. So true and I have thought a lot about that in my hurrying modes. It has helped to slow me down!

Rob & Rachael Heuseveldt said...

Way NEAT! It looks like you guys have a really nice KOA! Wish I could see it! I would love spend tons of money like that if I knew it was not coming out of my own checking account:) Enjoy!!!

Scott said...

Tiffany, I love the store! I am so happy you have learned what net 30 is. Being in retail, I have to admire your ambition, merchandising selection, and "tough skin". Now if you ever want to run a targeted marketing campaign, give me a call. I can hook you up with some pretty cool vendors. Good luck with the venture. Just don't get into groceries. We get pretty aggressive when new retailers come to town!