Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Taco the Turtle was not a turtle. Or Taco.

 We were in our garage one day and I looked down and saw a lawn ornament!  I had not purchased such a thing (being somewhat leery of lawn ornaments...) and then, the thing moved!  A turtle had somehow found its way into our garage!  I was so excited!  The family gathered around to stare at it.



 It is sincerely one of the coolest animals I have ever watched!  We were so curious as to its origin and ownership.  In the meantime, we named it Taco and played with it for a little while.  I posted pictures on facebook and learned that the owner was from across the street, and that it was actually a really old tortoise named Herkimer.


 We babysat the little guy overnight until we could get a hold of our neighbors. 

 When my neighbor Sally came over to pick up her cute pet, she told me that Herkimer is 70 years old and will probably live to be over 100!  Herkimer was a class pet in her aunt's elementary school classroom.  Her aunt left Sally the tortoise to raise.  Only a few years ago, Sally learned that Herkimer is actually a girl (female tortoises have flat tummies and males have concave ones). 
So, that was our adventure with Herkimer, the female, old, beautiful tortoise.

No comments: